All about Mobile, Web, Technology, Politics, Security, E-Commerce and Living in the Philippines.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Enabling Microsoft Remote Desktop for Windows XP Pro SP2

Recently I have been working remotely most of the time so my usual Tight VNC wasn't good enough anymore, so I decided to fire up MS Terminal Service. I know there are a couple of dangers involved opening up my PC up for access but I guess I just need to monitor it closely from now on.

Enabling MSTS wasn't easy, primarily because with Windows SP2 has totaly disabled it without any option of having it turned back on! (shame). MS did provide a way to enable it again but it doesn't work, there's also another hack to enable it but IMHO its too barbaric, it involves loging into safe mode and replacing some critical files and hopes it work. Therefore i come up with a more elagant approach.


  1. Disable MSTS if its running. My Computer > Properties > Remote > Allow users to connect remotely to this computer (disable checkbox)

  2. Download SP1 version of termsrv.dll and save it to your Windows folder (C:\Windows).

  3. Run the regisry editor (Regedit.exe)

  4. Edit key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    \Mup\DisableDFS and set its value to 0

  5. Edit key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    \TerminalService\Parameters\ServiceDll and set its value to %SystemRoot%\termsrv.dll

  6. Re-enable MSTS. My Computer > Properties > Remote > Allow users to connect remotely to this computer (enable checkbox). Add up some users also that would be allowed remote access.

  7. Reboot your PC.

  8. Test your MSTS connection and make sure that the firewall is configured to allow accress via TCP/UDP port 3389

0 comments:

Related Links